Thursday, October 26, 2006

Why Gimme Patience?

Gimme Patience wasn't the first name I thought of for my blog but it was the first one I liked that was available and it really is appropriate for me. It's what I always pray for and have since I was a little girl. In grade school I was hooked with The Serenity Prayer. We all know it...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;courage to change the things I can;and wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace. Amen.

I know that there's more to it but that's the part I like. Although I don't necessarily consider myself a religious person, I do consider myself a spiritual person. I think there's a difference which undoubtedly, will be explored futher in other postings. But ANYway, I have always thought that patience is what I need most to attain any goal I have ever set for myself and I say those words and variations of it often.

Related story- Warning: have a tissue handy or maybe I just cry cuz it was my kid.

Once in church when my youngest son (he must have been @5 at the time) was learning to pray, he asked me what I was praying for. I told him - Patience. He innocently asked me -What else, Mommy? I took a deep breath, my eyes were closed, I was on my knees with my hands piously clasped in prayer and said - Patience, sweetie, lots and lots of patience.

The graying couple behind us started to snicker as my young son, imitating me, got down on his knees and placed his folded hands over his head on top of the pew before him and said out loud - Hi God, can you please give my mommy lots and lots of patience? Her name is mommy and I'm Son2. Thanks, I mean Amen.

I leaned over, kissed the top of his head and thanked him as we sat back in our pew ready for mass. The man behind us asked that God bless my son. I could only look at him smiling and nodding my head in thanks as my eyes filled with tears.

So, Gimme Patience it is. Because without patience I wouldn't be able to take the time to appreciate moments like those.

No comments: