Monday, April 16, 2007

Surgery

The biggest thing happening right now is my mother-in-law's surgery. Wednesday she is going in the hospital for surgery to remove a a mass and a piece of her lung, they will test it on the spot if it's benign, then they sew her up and that's it. If it's malignant, then they will remove a little more lung to be sure "they got it all" and then we'll see - I guess. She will be in the hospital for 4 or 5 days. She is the primary caregiver for her mom that lives with them. Her brother (against his wife's wishes) will be picking her up the night before the surgery. It's a difficult situation but he needs to impress upon his wife that it's his mom too! and he needs to step up and help out. For goodness sake it's not like she's going on a 3-month cruise around the world! But I digress.
Back to Wednesday, hubby is taking the day off from work to be at the hospital with his parents, the boys conveniently get out of school early that day and want me to take them to the hospital after school.

I am putting together a basket of things to cheer her up. I'm thinking....a couple of magazines in Spanish, a couple of books, some hand lotion, and maybe a couple of pictures to put on the "nightstand" in the room. I couldn't think of anything else, I still have tomorrow to work on it. I'll buy the lotion on my way home from work, I already bought the books and magazines and will put the basket together tonight and see how it looks.

1 comment:

Hilda said...

Maybe get a portable CD player and take some of the music she likes. And make sure she has her own robe, slippers and if possible her own nightgown.

WE'll be thinking of her.