Monday, May 11, 2009

An Egg? Really?

Well, Hilda's question got me thinking. I have no clue why Humpty is an egg. I had never questioned it before. I simply accepted that Humpty was an egg. Why shouldn't I? The egg was everywhere. Were we all just brainwashed into thinking Humpty was an egg by some random artist and has this farce been perpetuated throughout the years by educators and publishers everywhere? The rhyme doesn't say anything about an egg. So, why IS Humpty Dumpty portrayed as an egg? Thank goodness for the Internet. I would have given up searching for the answer if I would have had to go through how many books trying to research the answer. Too much work. But after some simple surfing around, the short of the long of it is that it was originally a rhyming riddle and the answer is an egg. Cool. So, there you go that's why Humpty is an egg.

Click below for further info:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1494/why-is-humpty-dumpty-portrayed-as-an-egg-even-though-eggs-arent-mentioned-in-the-nursery-rhyme

1 comment:

Hilda said...

Cool.

Thanks.