Monday, September 24, 2007

Thank you.

As any parent will know, parenting is a 24/7 job and no one thanks you for it. Sure you get satisfaction from seeing the merits of your toil when they finally make to the toilet after months of potty training you want to dance a jig. There are gajilllions of moments like that.

But last week after dinner one night the boys and I sat at the dinner table talking about stuff. All kinds of stuff. One of those great talks that's about nothing and yet means so much. We talked about school, teachers, my work, the dog, upcoming parties, friends, the car, even painting the house. I am telling you we talked about everything. In the middle of it while we were talking about things that were happening at school, 15 stopped and put his hand on my shoulder and said "oh, yeah and I want to thank you for making us normal." Now, isn't that about the sweetest thing you have ever heard!? Of course, being me, I couldn't just let it drop there. I had to ask what do you mean and that when the conversation turned to friends and things that were going on with them etc. and both my boys said that they have me to thank for making them normal. I got all misty and just said well, "your welcome I'm just glad that you are able to appreciate it now and didn't have to wait until you have kids." which was how long it took me to appreciate MY parents. The conversation quickly moved on to other things but I just need to perpetuate the moment so I can read it when I need it.

2 comments:

TroyBoy said...

That is great that your two teenagers already have an idea of what you have done for them on a deeper level than just providing 3 hots and cot.

Just remember, that they ARE teenagers and that their appreciation for and awareness of your efforts will most likely ebb and flow!

Hilda said...

See...I keep telling you they are great kids!

I always have a great time with both of them - and that's saying a lot considering how I feel about teenagers as a group!

You done good...:)