Thursday, September 20, 2007

We Interrupt This Family for Football Season

That's what the sign says on my front door. Honest. I'm sure you've heard of 'Monday Night widows' because the husbands all watch football. Well, at my house they took this idea and ran with it.

There's Sunday football, Sunday night football, Monday night football, Thursday night football - that's when the Pros play. Then there's Saturday for college football and there's high school football which can be either wed/thurs/fri/sat. It varies from week to week. That's just when we WATCH actual football games.

17 is a Senior of the Varsity football team and we are very involved with the high school. Translation...football has creeped into every other day of the week too. Hubby keeps the books for the QB Club which is like the parent's booster club for the football program. He's been doing that for 2 years. I help out in other ways from organizing the weekly team meals to stocking the concession stand for home games and ensuring that parents of all 3 teams are up to date on the latest happenings. I am also holding weekly (Tuesday- the only day of the week not previously mentioned) gatherings at my house to make a scrapbook for each of the graduating seniors (there are 26 this year) and we also made banners with their name and number on them and they are hanging in the cafeteria for the season and each will keep it at the end of the season as a keepsake with their scrapbook. It's really oodles of fun. We had a blast making the banners this week. It took 10 women hours and hours of prep work and then hours at my house to put it all together but they came out really nice! It's fun doing stuff for the boys and I'm making good friends with the parents to boot.

On top of all this, I am now learning about Cross Country running. 15 has had 2 meets already. On, you guessed it, Tuesdays after school. He was not happy with his performance the first meet. I on the other hand was in tears watching him strain to the finish line. I am so impressed with him. He beat his own time, the second meet. So, he was a little happier but according to him he's got a long way to go. He only started training this summer and started at over 30 minutes to run 2 miles. Tuesday he ran 5k in 22.43 - frickin amazing, if you ask me but I'm mom and we all know that means I don't know squat. So, I'm meeting more parents and got on another email list to get involved with that team too.

The thing is work just keeps getting in the way of all these other things I want to do but somehow I guess I'll muddle through. It's going to be a long year and at the same time it will be over in a minute. I mean they just started yesterday and 17 will be graduating in the Spring. How did THAT happen?

No comments: