Saturday, May 12, 2007

Becoming a mom

When I told my grandfather I was pregnant +17 years ago, he sat smoking his cigar staring into space. My GM thought he hadn't heard and yelled at him "Did you hear her?! She said that they are going to have a baby!" He dramatically took the cigar out of his mouth slowly bringing it down and sighing as he exhaled he said, "You will never sleep well another day in your life." My GM was horrified at the comment and berated him, telling him you are supposed to congratulate the person not tell them something like that. But grandfather said, I have never lied to her before and I won't now. If she's happy that's fine, I'm happy but it's the truth she won't sleep again. Someone has to tell her.

He was right. I don't think I have ever slept as soundly again but I'm happy being a mom and would never have traded it for anything in the world.

SO, Happy Mother's Day to me and to all the others out there.

No comments: