Friday, February 06, 2009

Comfort Food

It's been cold here in sunny South Florida. Honest. It's in the 40s and even 30s at night. That's cold. For people who live here is freezing but we won't get into that. Anyway, between the cold and I have some friends who are going through some yucky stuff and that drags me down a bit I needed some comfort food.

Last night I made good ole meat loaf and mac n cheese. I'm not talking little powder pack of seasoning meat loaf or box mac n cheese. I am talking all homemade from scratch. I did make dough boy pop in the oven biscuits because there's only so much a girl can do on a weeknight.

Dinner was DElicious. I sauteed the onions and spices for the meatloaf first and grated a carrot to add to the mix. THEN I wrapped it in bacon! Tell me what's not better with bacon. Nothing.

The mac n cheese was yummy! The macaroni were just right not overcooked and mushy. The cheese was a combo of Colby, cheddar and parm blended into a roux with butter and cream. I tossed it all together and put it in the oven with more parm sprinkled on top and let it bubble up. Oh So Good!

I felt so warm and good after dinner. It was a comfort meal for me. Not so much for my boys because they didn't grow up on that since they don't really have winter and all but I used to have that at least every 10 days in the winter if not more often. I was feeling a bit drained. Dinner took me back and recharged me. I am ready for the weekend and getting things done.

No comments: