Thursday, May 08, 2008

Athletic Banquet

Yesterday was another long day. We attended the boys Athletic Banquet last night after work and we had a really nice time.
We reconnected with a bunch of parents we hadn't seen in a while. That was nice. I knew boys on many different teams and it was nice to see them all getting their awards. 18 received the Senior Award in Track and Field. We were very surprised. In fact I missed the picture and quite frankly wasn't listening to what they were saying. Why, you ask, did I miss such a special moment? Well, because I was busy at the other end of the stage getting a picture of 15 who received his Letterman's jacket for Track and Field. On the way home we asked him what the coach said as the introduction to the award. He said he didn't hear it because he was looking over the table for his District patch when another coach punched him in the shoulder and said Dude, listen! Pay Attention! and he turned and listened just in time to hear his name. He was very surprised. We all laughed.
His best friend since 1st grade also received a Senior Award for his sport, Hockey. It was great to take a picture of the 2 of them with their awards. I have pictures of those two boys doing assorted things going back to 1st grade, it's great that they are still such good friends. I hope they can keep in touch through college.
Like I said, 15 got his jacket and his oldest friend (brother of 18s friend) also received his jacket (also for hockey). We are GREAT friends with the parents and I was so happy that all 4 of them received awards last night. It was great! I am so happy for all of them.
I took tons of pictures. The lighting in the place is a horrible yellow but oh well. Neither of my sons gave me a hard time about the pictures. They actually called me over to take pictures of different groups and with different friends. I think they appreciate it more, now that they see all the 'old' pictures in the scrapbooks I am making. I think they are enjoying the memories. I certainly am enjoying the ride.

1 comment:

Hilda said...

That is fantastic! I'm so proud of all of them - what a great night for both families!

So is it dorky that I got misty reading this?

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to make it through this graduation season...