Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day

I know it's the day after but...
Did you think of all the fallen service men yesterday? Did you say a prayer of thanks? That is what Memorial Day is all about. On TV, I watched the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier and talked about it with my boys. 18 saw it when he went to close-up and we all shared our thoughts. We also talked about the tour we took in Key West, we learned about it's connection to the various wars, it was a home to many a Navy, the base there, the statue of the sailor in the cemetery facing out to sea saluting all those who left and never returned. It was very interesting and fitting for Memorial Day weekend.
I again told the story of one of my best friends in high school who's brother was a marine who died in an embassy bombing in Beirut. It was the closest military death I have experienced. It was devastating to all of us at school. I pray for that family and many others.

No comments: