Thursday, November 09, 2006

Publishers Clearing House

Did you get yours in the mail? Don't bother sending your in unless your initials are CS because MY envelope says that someone with those initials is going to be a winner. I fill it out and send it in every year. I receive multiple mailings a year because I keep making it to the next round. Surely, I'm close to winning.

I know I'm not going to win but it reminds of when I was a kid. I do it for the memories. My mother loved, I mean LOVED sweepstakes and contests. She would do them all. She even subscribed to a newsletter that sent us listings of sweepstakes and she would enter tons of them.

It was part of Sunday. Read the Sunday paper, cut out the coupons and fill out sweepstakes entries, or fill out forms and copy receipts for rebates and other giveaways. We never won anything big that I can recall. She used to get coupons for things and free samples in the mail. I can only imagine that she would have gone bonkers with the internet and all the contests and sweepstakes she could enter online.

So mom, I'm still sending in the PCH. Maybe someday the Prize Patrol will knock on my door. Like you always said, "Somebody's gotta win!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mom reminds me of the lady about whom the book "Prize Winner of Definance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less".

It was made into a movie starring Julianne Moore - oh look, something else to add to our Netflix list!

Anyway, when Ed McMahon (does he still do this?) comes to your door with the prize patrol do two things:
1) Call me
2) Make them all some Cuban coffee - just to be nice