Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Talkin Turkey

Even though it's not at my house I still cook and bake for Thanksgiving. I don't have to, mind you, but I want to eat some traditional American foods, so I do.

I do all my holiday cooking and baking from scratch. I know there are plenty of fabulous shortcuts out there, I use them all year long, but it feels better when it's from scratch. I feel more a part of it all. This year I am making cranberry sauce, stuffing (I guess it's really dressing since I'm not stuffing the turkey), sweet potato casserole, corn bread, apple pie and a cherry cranberry pie.


The cranberries are done, tonight I will bake the desserts and chop the dressing ingredients. Tomorrow morning I will do the cooking and bake the corn bread as the family is gathering at noon.


I love my sweet potato casserole it has this yummy brown sugar pecan coating on top that is awesome! New this year is the cherry cranberry pie just to change up on the plain cherry pie every year. I also plan on making a rum cake for a post Thanksgiving gathering of friends on Friday, if I have time.

The cranberries are done, tonight I will bake the deserts and chop the dressing ingredients. Tomorrow morning I will do the cooking and bake the corn bread as the family is gathering at noon.

I love cooking for the holidays. After Thanksgiving, this weekend I will be making Crema de Vie, I make several bottles because I give it as gifts, and cookies and quick breads, some for the home and some for gifts.

I hope everyone has a lovely Thanksgiving- gobble gobble!

If I'm not comatose after the Black Friday shopping, I'll let you know how everything turned out.

2 comments:

Dixie said...

Cherry cranberry pie sounds fantastic! I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving!

Kristi said...

Wow-everything you're making sounds delicious. And I know what you mean about baking from scratch. It's gotten to the point for me that I won't bake any other way. Thanks for visiting my blog the other day. I'd love to hear about the other easy recipes you mentioned. :)